Prev | Index | Next

Copyright © 2010,
 

Great Saint Martin Church

It was founded with its foundation resting on Roman remnants circa 960 AD on what was then an island in the Rhine . It was later transformed into a Benedictine monastery. The current buildings, including a soaring crossing tower that is a landmark of Cologne's Old Town, were erected between 1150 -1250. Its architecture forms a triconch , a structure consisting of three apses around the crossing , thus forming a cloverleaf The church was badly damaged in World War II , and it's restoration was completed in 1985.