Prev | Index | Next

Copyright © 2010,
The Hohenzollernbrücke

The bridge was constructed between 1907 and 1911 after the old bridge, the Dombrücke, had to be demolished. The Dombrücke had been unable to handle the increasing traffic in Cologne. The Hohenzollernbrücke was one of the most important bridges in Germany during World War II; even under consistent daily airstrikes the bridge was not damaged badly. On March 6, 1945, German military engineers blew up the bridge when Allied troops started to conquer Cologne. After the war, reconstruction was quickly organized; by May 8, 1948, the Hohenzollernbrücke was accessible by pedestrians again. Over the next eleven years the bridge was improved until by 1959 it was usable without any impairment. During the 1980s the bridge was renovated with two new tracks. The Hohenzollernbrücke now regularly has over 1200 trains pass through daily. The bridge is regarded as an important part of Cologne as it connects Cologne's central station with the major European cities on the other side of the Rhine.